Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Axel Vervoordt Living With Light

The coffee table book (in print) industry is booming. At least a dozen or more new titles in the design/decorative arts category come out every week. Competition is fierce. Coffee tables are loaded, bookshelves are packed, and stacks of large books in people's houses look like furniture.


Still I get excited when I get a new book. I just got Axel Vervoordt's new book "Living With Light"  published by Flammarion. From the press release: "Following the best seller Axel Vervoordt: Timeless Interiors, this volume of twenty new interiors expands on the Vervoordt vision for creating exceptional homes that combine natural elements, antiques, and fine art."



This is an elegant, sophisticated, refined book. At first I thought, what does it have to do with my little piece of swamp? There are interiors of castles, and grand homes in Europe, London, and New York, places I will never set foot it, or have will I ever have the means to hire the fabulous Axel Vervoordt as a designer.

But the beauty is we can have him through his books. As I leafed through the pages, I realized there are many things we mere mortals can takeaway. Obviously the gorgeous photography by Laziz Hamani transports you to another world, and the book written by Axel Vervoordt, text by Michael Gardner draws you in.

Add this to your collection of design books, and look at it as a master class in restraint with depth, and how the play of light works in shaping a design.

Here are a few things you can takeaway.

Entry hall simplicity - Note the off center placement of objects -photography by Laziz Hamani

No rugs or curtains - photography by Laziz Hamani

Fill a surface with a gazillion pillar candles - photography by Laziz Hamani

One bowl one piece of art - photography by Laziz Hamani

See - I did it at my house


Two chandeliers and dining chairs at different heights - photography by Laziz Hamani

Dazzling Blue is the 2014 Color of the Year - Paint the walls or just add a blue work of art - photography by Laziz Hamani

Skirt your dining room table to the floor; mix antiques chairs with modern art - photography by Laziz Hamani


All you need is one interesting chair in this gorgeous light - photography by Laziz Hamani
After I looked at Living With Light, I edited this credenza down to a few basics


Axel Vervoordt: Living with Light

Written by Axel Vervoordt, Text by Michael Gardner, Photographed by Laziz Hamani
  • October 22, 2013
  • Hardcover
  • House & Home - Decorating
  • Flammarion
  • 10 x 11-1/4
  • $75.00
  • $75.00
  • 978-2-08-020159-1

Photos courtesy of Rizzoli who distributes the book

BUY IT HERE

Hover over any image to Pin it
Please add my NEW address to your blog list: http://thevisualvamp.blogspot.com
And please become a Follower again (or for the first time) on this newer VV blog 



6 comments:

  1. Awesome book, very talented out of the box designer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, to live with light and with less is often the best revenge. Taking away a rug or just moving a bowl to the left can be the perfect change. Love Alex's style. Looks like a great book, full of inspiration.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little swamp line had me laughing so hard!

    I absolutely LOVE Axel Vervoordt's style so much that I have been studying it for a while now to add the elements to our home. I searched for months for an affordable sofa that fits his signature look and our space, and not be junk furniture that i would want to toss. I finally found one with the Sherrill-2252 sofa having a bench seat cushion. I will check this book out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog via Belgian Pearls ! Greetings from Brussels

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowwh... am so amazed with your post. Its really makes exciting. Love all the pics of your home decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ordered Vervoordt's book because I love his style. Glad to see your preview. Have all his books, but returned May Vervoordt's book. Food and recipes just did not appeal, but this new one will.

    ReplyDelete